We are living in a world influenced by many forms of media. Every day, everyone transmits and receives information from various means and devices. TV shows can serve many different purposes such as information provision, announcements, education or entertainment for many people. TV shows’ trend is always changing and developing, but there is one certain thing: The role of TV shows in everyone’s daily life and their impacts on our personal, social and political circumstances is significant.
In Vietnam, most TV shows are bought copyrights from overseas TV shows such as Vietnam’s Next Top Model, The Face, The Voice Kids, High Kick, etc. However, even though they are bought copyrights, the TV producers have paid a lot of attention and made great efforts in the content localization stage in order for the shows to suit Vietnamese people’s taste.
What is the key to a TV show’s success?
The production of TV shows requires great investments in terms of both financial and human resources in the thorough production planning stage and distribution of resources. A TV show’s production process requires a harmonious collaboration between departments in many production stages. But the most important factors in creating a successful TV show are still product-related elements such as:
- Creative ideas: considered an essential element in the success of a TV show. If we continue to follow the path of previously broadcast contents, failure is inevitable. A content containing novel creative ideas will be an intriguing feature that evokes the audience’s curiosity, causing them to watch in excitement. The production crew needs to thoroughly research the audience’s taste to identify what they like, then based on that develop the show’s format to satisfy their needs.
- Using viral elements: While creating contents and break-through ideas is very difficult, the usage of viral elements such as the presence of celebrities in your show is still an effective method to attract the public’s attention. The reason is simply that they have “attraction and influence” on the audience and are the “trump cards” of producers when creating a show. However, choosing the person who appears on your product depends greatly on the show’s content, target market, receiving subjects (target audience). In order to make the best decision, producers need to thoroughly research the public’s taste in a specific market.
- The purpose of creating the show: Show producers need to maximize the benefits that the public receive. That means TV shows about entertainment combined with education, searching and developing talents, community support, physical strength or knowledge competitions, etc. are the goals that producers can choose from to build a TV show that brings rich values to the public.
- Other elements: the success of a TV show is also a resonance of many other elements such as sounds, effects, audiences, communication-advertising activities, etc. they all contribute to bringing the show to the target audience.
Tomato Media’s professional TV show production process
The most important rule in producing a TV show is that everything must be well-prepared before filming – and even long before that. Below are the five most important phases in TV show production and how they should be managed to maximize productivity, creating the most high-quality products possible.
- Development: The ideas, intention, narrations and research into the audience’s taste are the foundation of production. In this stage, the most basic elements of TV shows such as genre, style, location, settings and production time, are determined. Additionally, identifying the show’s theme, goals, strategies to make use of unique features, and format use rights are what the producers need to be sure of since the very first step. Additionally, experiments in the usage of materials, equipment and technology need to be carried out to develop the knowledge and skills required to use them.
- Pre-production: the production planning phase has to include choosing thoroughly the subjects directly participating in the product, the scripts attached to the characters and specific settings. Production documents and plans are created visually and in writing by using tools such as production notes and clapper boards. Equipment, technologies and materials used in production should be prepared and organized in suitable positions. How the product will be distributed to the audience, the context of its distribution and consumption also have to be planned.
- Production: Production is the fiercest and most sensitive phase in any TV show project. A well-managed production project must operate like a well-oiled machine, because each additional production day will incur considerable expenses. Most importantly, there are always potential problems that can happen during the production process, such as weather-related issues. Because of that, contingency plans are necessary to ensure that the TV show production can continue in any circumstances.
- Post-production: Post-production is the process of assembling, fine-tuning, refining the footages. During the post-production process, videos and sounds will be edited, even the smallest errors will be fixed and the filmed scenes will be arranged according to the script. In fact, high-quality videos and sounds help make the post-production much easier and even a large force of talented and experienced individuals can’t improve the content’s quality if the production process is not carried out well. For example, videos can be edited to be brighter or change color, but it is very difficult to make them clearer, sharper or have a higher resolution. This reflects the importance of an efficient working process with equipment and staff right since the beginning. During the post-production process. Effects can be added such as visual effects, CGI and narratives. If sounds such as dialogues are not clear in the initial footage, actors may have to re-shoot to re-record their lines. This is very common. Other effects such as subtitles will also be added in this process and a final version will be compiled for distribution.
- Distribution: When TV shows have been successfully produced, the next stage is distributing and transmitting the contents to the public. The distribution process depends on the identified target audience. However, young audiences tend to use social media, while older audiences may prefer traditional media means, such as local TV stations. Either way, online platforms are usually the most accessible and cost-effective. TV shows can be uploaded to many online locations without incurring extra expenses. The publication of TV shows should be carried out on as many platforms as possible, a company can publish and broadcast TV shows on several major TV channels, then link them to social media and on landing pages to increase their accessibility to the target audience.
Each phase in the production of TV shows is essential to create the most high-quality final product. A professional TV show producer can create the best products with the lowest expenses, while inexperienced enterprises can find this process more troublesome and costly. Regardless, the planning and preparation processes for TV show production are considered the most important stages in creating the final product.
In conclusion, the success of a TV show is decided by the content and professionalism in stages from production to distribution. TV shows with professional interfaces and appealing contents will be well-received and shared by the public, this helps the producer save huge expenses for communications and advertisements in the future.
With more than 10 years of working experience in the field of media and entertainment, Tomato Media is proud to be one of the most professional TV show producing enterprises, we apply a optimized production procedure from the stage of receiving and analyzing clients’ requirements to the production, distribution and product promotion stages. All stages are thoroughly monitored and inspected to remove even the slightest errors.
With the goal of becoming Asia’s leading multimedia and localization company, Tomato provides the following services:
– Consultation and assistance in content censorship, legal assistance, support licensing publication of TV products and digital contents in Vietnam.
– Becoming the agency representing, distributing and developing TV shows and digital contents in Vietnam.
– Localizing entertainment media products: TV series, cartoon, games, TV shows, etc.
>>>For cooperation with Tomato, please contact us to receive consultation 24/7:
Hotline: 093 8596 333
Headquarter: Floor 5, Kinh Do building, 292 Tay Son, Dong Da, Hanoi
Ho Chi Minh City Branch: Floor 6, No. 166 Nguyen Cong Tru, Nguyen Thai Binh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.